Last updated: November 2017
What information do we collect?
We primarily collect personal information that is necessary for us to conduct our business. Our business includes the supply and promotion of products and services that currently include products and services relating to gas, electricity and thermal energy, including ancillary services. Personal information has the meaning given in the Privacy Act and includes any information that can be used to identify you, such as:
- Your name, occupation and contact details (including address, telephone numbers and email address) and details of the relevant property or business address;
- Information about your dealings with us or about our services;
- Information about your use of gas and electricity and gas or electrical appliances or equipment;
- Information about your actual or intended purchase of any gas appliance or equipment;
- Other personal information you may disclose to us when you contact us or request a service from us, or which is contained in communications between you and us.
Where relevant, we may ask you for other information, for example, qualifications and employment history if you are applying for employment with us as well as bank account and superannuation account details and a tax file number if you obtain employment with us.
How do we collect and hold your personal information?
We usually collect personal information in the following ways:
- Directly from you, either in person, in documents, by email or via one of our Sites when you, for example:
- purchase products or services from us;
- submit an enquiry to us;
- use a Site (including by means of a link to a site);
- participate in any competitions, promotions, specials or surveys; or
- apply for employment with us.
- From third parties, such as an agent acting on your behalf or other third parties who may work with us, or provide services to us, including customers, retailers, gas producers, electricity generators, property developers, builders, promotional services providers and social media sites;
- From publicly available resources.
If we collect your personal information from an agent acting on your behalf, we will seek some indication that the party contacting us is your authorised agent. If we collect your personal information from another third party we will generally let you know that we have collected that information or require the third party to let you know we will be doing so, or have done so.
We hold personal information in hard copy and electronic files.
If your personal information is no longer needed, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify it.
We will also destroy or de-identify unsolicited personal information that we may receive from time to time.
Collection of information from our Sites
When using a Site, you may voluntarily disclose personal information to us. We may also automatically record details such as your internet address, domain name if applicable, and the date and time of your visit to our Site.
We may combine information collected by means of cookies and similar technologies with personal information we have collected by other means. We may use this combined information to understand and measure your online experiences and to determine what products and services may be of interest to you. By accessing any of our Sites by using any link emailed to you, or where you have otherwise identified yourself, you consent to the collection of such information where it is personal information.
In addition to web server logs, we also use third party web analytics, reporting and statistics services to improve the performance and usability of a Site.
Why do we collect personal information and what are the consequences of not providing us with the information requested?
Generally, we collect personal information about you:
- for the provision of our services;
- to meet our obligations to you as well as to enable us to conduct our gas transmission and distribution business;
- to improve and promote the services we provide;
- to run a promotion, contest, survey or other Site feature;
- to provide or improve our customer service by responding to your customer service requests and support needs more efficiently;
- so you can seek employment with us; or
- to communicate with you in writing, by e-mail, telephone or via the Sites.
Our ability to meet our obligations to you, your business or to process any application, request or query may be adversely affected if you do not give us the requested personal information, or if the information you give us is incomplete or inaccurate.
How do we use your personal information?
In general, the personal information we collect is used for the primary purposes for which it was collected, namely to provide and manage our products and services in the ordinary course of conducting our gas transmission and distribution business. We may also use personal information to:
- manage our relationship with you and improve the services we provide;
- assess applications for employment;
- provide you with our products and services;
- provide you with information in relation to our business that you request;
- provide you with information on our products and services that we think you may be interested in;
- provide you with information about promotions, specials and competitions;
- ·notify you of proposed appliance and connection rebates;
- provide advice and information on outages, meter reads and other activities and alerts;
- collect information and feedback relating to our Site and marketing campaigns;
- send periodic emails, for example, to respond to questions and other requests; and
- enhance and personalise your experience with us by, among other things, understanding how you use our Sites and services and the resources provided.
We may also use your personal information for a secondary purpose that is related to a purpose for which we collected it, where you would reasonably expect us to use your personal information for that secondary purpose.
Automatically Collected Information
In general, we may also use information collected passively from your computer by technologies such as cookies to help improve our services and our Sites.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
We will only disclose personal information for the purpose for which it was collected or in the following circumstances:
- to contractors who operate and manage our gas transmission and distribution networks;
- to digital agencies who provide website hosting, website administration, analytical and promotional services to us;
- to other third parties, including other contractors, business partners, agents, suppliers, service providers, retailers and other gas market participants who assist us in servicing you or communicating with you;
- where required or authorised by law or otherwise as permitted under the Privacy Act;
- where you consent or have authorised the disclosure; and
Cross-border disclosure of personal information
How secure and accurate is your personal information?
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information we hold is:
- accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant and not misleading;
- stored in a secure environment; and
- protected from misuse, interference and loss as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
These steps will include appropriate levels of security for our systems and providing training for our staff who have access to personal information. We use SSL technology on our websites and encrypt the data we store on them. In addition, we take reasonable steps to de-identify or securely destroy personal information that is no longer required by us.
We take these precautions in an effort to protect your personal information against security breaches. However, this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by a breach of such security controls. By using our Site and our services, you acknowledge that you understand and assume these risks.
We will notify you of any eligible data breaches involving your personal information in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act.
If any of your details change, please let us know as soon as possible by using the contact details below so we can maintain the accuracy of your personal information.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
We seek to ensure that all personal information collected is accurate and complete. You have a right to access personal information we hold about you.
We will comply with any request to access your personal information except where the Privacy Act or the APPs allow us to refuse to do so. There is no fee for making a request to access your personal information but we may charge a fee for giving you access to your personal information in a mutually agreed format, usually by sighting the accessible information held on file. You also have the right to ask us to correct information about you that is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading. If we refuse to correct your personal information as requested, we must:
- Notify you in writing of the reasons for the refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to do so) and how to complain of the refusal; and
- Upon request from you that we associate a statement that the information is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading, take such steps are as reasonable in the circumstances to associate such a statement so that it will be apparent to users of the information.
Links to other websites
How can I contact Australian Gas Infrastructure Group?
If you have any questions or complaints about how we handle your personal information, you can contact our Privacy Officer as follows:
(08) 8418 1130
We will consider and respond to any complaint notified to us within a reasonable time, usually 30 days. We will always endeavour to resolve any complaint to the satisfaction of both parties.
Australian Privacy Commissioner
If you are not satisfied with the way in which we handle your enquiry or complaint, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on Tel: 1300 363 992 or email: email@example.com.