Australian Gas Infrastructure Group – Response to COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has challenged the entire Australian community, forcing us to change the way we work and interact with each other. Australian Gas Infrastructure Group (AGIG) on behalf of its operating entities, Australian Gas Networks (AGN), Multinet Gas Networks (MGN), the Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline (DBP) has developed a COVID-19 response plan to address these challenges.
Our plan recognises that the supply of natural gas is an essential service. AGIG is committed to delivering safe and reliable gas services to more than 2 million customers across Australia.
Our plan focuses on assisting our customers and local communities.
For the AGN and MGN networks in South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales:
- We are working with industry to implement the principles set out by the Australian Energy Regulator (www.aer.gov.au) to protect customers and the energy market during this difficult time
- We are supporting energy retailers by not disconnecting residential or small business customers who may be in financial stress, to 31 July 2020 and potentially beyond.
- We are implementing a network relief package - this package includes supporting energy retailers by either rebating or deferring network charges to eligible residential customers who go on payment plans or hardship arrangements as a result of COVID-19 for the period 1 April to 30 June and providing tariff relief to eligible small business customers who experience financial stress, or temporarily close, as a result of COVID-19 for the period 1 April to 30 June.
- For further details on the energy network relief package, please see link https://www.energynetworks.com.au/miscellaneous/covid-19-electricity-and-gas-network-relief-package/
Note that customers who have been impacted by COVID-19 should contact their energy retailer to determine what type of financial assistance may be available.
Our Work Environment
We have enacted a series of measures as part of our response plan across the Group to maintain a healthy and safe work environment. These include:
- We are practicing strict social distancing at all times as recommended by Government Authorities
- Where possible, employees are now working from home to reduce the risk of spread, and for those persons unable to work from home, we have strict controls in place, including cleaning regimes, alternating work groups and increased hygiene expectations to maintain a clean work environment
- We have mandated a 14-day self-isolation period for a series of select criteria
Operations (AGN & MGN)
Our operational focus is to safely maintain the reliability of gas supply for our customers and the broader community. This service has not been impacted by COVID-19.
- We are continuing to provide critical services including responding to gas faults and emergencies, carrying out emergency repairs, operational and maintenance activities to ensure customers receive a safe and reliable gas supply.
- As part our commitment in improving gas supply and delivering essential gas distribution services, our contractors will be performing works on the gas assets located within the vicinity of customers’ premises and we will be continuing to read gas meters.
- We are taking every precaution to ensure the safety and health of our customers, employees and contractors, but we need customers help by maintaining a high degree of vigilance. Our employees and contractors have been directed, and we ask customers to maintain social distancing (>1.5m) at all times.
- If the customer’s gas supply needs to be turned off for planned maintenance, we will send customers a notice of this work so that they can plan ahead. We are aware that these types of planned outages may have a greater impact given that more people than ever before are now at home due to the COVID - 19. In these circumstances, we are closely evaluating the need for particular work activities to proceed and how we might be able to minimise the impact on customers in the current circumstances.
- We are requesting any customer who is impacted by our field work activities such as above to declare if they have travelled from overseas, have been exposed to COVID-19 or are showing signs of flu symptoms, to ensure that we can make arrangements to protect the safety of our employees and contractors.
Faults and Emergencies (AGN and MGN)
Our faults or emergency service has not been impacted by COVID-19. If customers experience any gas faults or emergencies, please call on:
- 132 691 (24 hours) for MGN
- 1800 427 532 (24 hours) for AGN
Customer Enquiries (AGN and MGN)
Our Customer Enquiries centre can be contacted on:
1300 887 501 (Business hours) for MGN or email email@example.com
1300 001 001 (Business hours) for AGN or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Whilst this call centres are operating normally, we do encourage customers to email your query and email enquiries are being responded in a timely manner during business hours.
For further information
- Multinet Gas Networks - www.multinetgas.com.au
- Australian Gas Networks - www.australiangasnetworks.com.au
- Dampier Bunbury Pipeline www.dbp.net.au
AGIG acknowledges that the COVID-19 situation will remain highly fluid for some time yet. We will continually update this information on our website as circumstances change.